Oh man, doesn't that logo take you back? (if you were born in the 80s/90s it might)
We shall makes WADs because mno said so.
GO, MY CHILDREN, GO FOR JOHN ROMERO!
When making your wad, don't forget some advices from John Romero himself for designing maps:
1. Always changing floor height when I wanted to change floor textures.
2. Using special border textures between different wall segments and doorways.
3. Being strict about texture alignment.
4. Conscious use of contrast everywhere in a level between light and dark areas, cramped and open areas.
5. Making sure that if a player could see outside that they should be able to somehow get there.
6. Being strict about designing several secret areas on every level.
7. Making my levels flow so the player will revisit areas several times so they will better understand the 3D space of the level.
8. Creating easily recognizable landmarks in several places for easier navigation.
Do not create inescapable sectors, please. i don't want to noclip my way out.
Yessss, I got Doom Builder 1 working in Wine. I am so ready for this.
Edit: I'm challenging myself to make a map with good playability that extends vertically from a height of 0 to 16384 - the map must gradually take the player from the bottom at height 0 to the "ceiling" of the map. I cannot cheat by simply making a teleport that takes the player from 0 to 16384 without creating any section of level in between. Basically, I think vertical level design is really cool and there aren't enough maps like Quake's "Ziggurat Vertigo" out there.
what is this
This level is like a living nightmare.
The music really sells it. And the cutscenes.
download it and play it's a .wad
features: baby easy; kinda difficult and fuck you difficulty system (fuck you is kinda easy too)
Fun level! You sure made this one fast, dang!
Just finished playing through this level. Thoughts:
- There's a large medkit in the starting room, and I'm not really sure why it's there... the player will have to backtrack to the beginning in order for it to be of any use.
- Clever use of monster ambushes, except for the parts that involve Chaingunners. Those guys can take away your health really fast - I don't appreciate being ambushed by them at all.
- I think the room with the large pool of water in the middle kind of lacks focus... it looks like you placed a bunch of random enemies in the pool, an area which is fenced off and at a lower level than the surrounding region (where you are initially confined). You have a situation where either the monsters will ambush you with unpredictable fire (since there are so many types of enemies in that pool) or they just hug the wall of the pool and shoot at it stupidly, allowing you to run up to the fence and kill them easily.
- Said room also has waist-high boxes which are short enough that a player using a modern source port will be able to jump over them, basically skipping a very large portion of the level. Without the ability to jump, it's also a pretty silly way to block the player's movement (what do you mean I can't just climb over them?).
- The upper walkway of the sewers ends a bit strangely... it seems like you draw more attention to the secret than the intended path.
- The V-shaped hallway after the blue key door doesn't fit in with the rest of the map in terms of theming.
- I like the use of the storage crates to provide a means of outsmarting the Revenant's fireballs, but I think they make the Revenant a bit _too_ useless here.
- I think the final wave of enemies should spawn when you press the switch the Imp is dancing on rather than when you enter the pool.
considering that i've made this level in a single afternoon
it kind of lacks everything
It's still pretty good given the short amount of time you spent on this.
Oh, this was a fun level, had some good tense moments and fun battles. Could look a little better in places, but it's personality that counts.
Man, imagine all the Slige maps I could do for this...
Is it cheating if I started a bit early? I was a bit too excited once I got Doom Builder working.
Pictured is what I have so far. So far it's only about 1/10 of the height I plan to go with this level. Already figured out the basics of slopes and 3D floors.
oh god slige
I'm working on a doom map I'm very proud of (it's a real map not a stupid joke like Tiny Doom!) but it's going to be a bit until it's 'finished' like! Just thought I'd pop in to say I will have something for the event, just late. Life and all :(
Arseface Alley: an OBLIGE-based mappack with some customs songs and ME SINGING YAAAAAY
also map30 is 100% by me